Re: [IRCA] $200 receivers with little blue LED lights

--- Charles A Taylor <MWDXer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Scott and Krew,
>
> Excuse please my sarcastic outburst. I was forgetting that the IBOC
> tuners
> that were the object of my wrath are also FM tuners. That throws a
> new
> light on it, so to speak, hi.
>
> I understand that IBOC-FM occupies more bandwidth than a non-IBOC
> emission.
> That makes sense, as there is more data (music and whatever else) on
> the
> carrier.
>
> QUESTION: has this wider bandwidth been a detriment to FM DX to the
> extent
> that AM IBOC has been to AM DX?
>
> I personally haven't DXed FM in a long time, but I have a great "deep
> fringe" antenna and a JVC tuner that. together, ought to be a great
> DX
> inhaler.
>
> Chaz

It hasn't at ;east in the same sense, mainly because the propagation is
very different. FM IBOC locally has wiped out numerous adjacent
channels to locals. In most of these cases, there are other stations at
100 miles or less which either singly or in pairs in opposite
directions, dominate the frequencies in question.

Strong tropo from another direction will wipe them out, and it will
largely wipe out the hiss. E skip will almost always come right through
the hiss.

What is most impacted is any ability to DX weak signals at the fringes
of reception, weaker tropo and now most meteor scatter.

For me personally, it's been a pain, but most of my DX has been E skip
for the past several years as I never had all that many frequencies pre
IBOC clear enough for meteor scatter, and as I don't get much tropo
except to the same old places South and Southeast.

While I haven't yet had time to do a bandscan on AM, I expect to lose
significant portions of the band - potentially 630-900, 990-1230, and
1490-1570 as well as a few others which are first adjacents to more
powerful nighttime locals.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]