Re: [IRCA] KGO Analog only

cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Still - the greatest puzzle of all is why they are flip-flopping with it.

As I've been saying on other lists, nighttime AM IBOC is still
experimental, in fact if not by law. While I have no hard knowledge to
prove this, and very few of the industry folks who'd know are talking, I
strongly suspect that many stations that have been on-and-off with the
system are participating in some sort of coordinated testing to see what
the real effects of the system might be.

In the particular case of KGO, where Marty's been noting the IBOC going
on and off at different dayparts, I think the reason may be a different
one - the 8-second delay. It wouldn't surprise me if someone out in the
field - traffic reporters? news reporters? - is still listening to KGO
over the air to get their cues to go live on the air. That, obviously,
doesn't work with the IBOC delay, and it's not always quick or easy to
find an alternate way to cue talent in the field, especially when
they're a mile in the air. I believe Marty said KGO has had its IBOC off
during morning and afternoon drive times. This would be consistent with
that theory.