Re: [IRCA] Missing IBOC signals

--- Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The point is this - at least for the time being, there's every reason
> expect we'll hear some signals popping on and off in digital, and no
> reason (yet) to think that any particular IBOC silence implies that
> the
> station in question has dumped digital for good.
>
> And, as Willis correctly notes, "it may be only conditions." On one
> of
> the broadcast engineering lists I'm on, an engineer from NYC noted
> that
> he hadn't heard hash from my local WHAM for a couple of nights,
> speculating it had turned off the digital. Not so - I check it every
> night, and it's been on every time I've checked. The propagation gods
>
> are easily amused, it would seem...

And we shouldn't forget about stations running live sports and perhaps
other programs shutting it off to escape dealing with the delay.

And maybe, just maybe, there are some coordinated tests going on to try
to quantify the damage and assess options...

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id