Re: [IRCA] Waiting for the sky to fall...

Re: [IRCA] Waiting for the sky to fall...

IBOC Night 3...

What a difference two nights (and changing propagation) make. I think the
impact of IBOC is driven home by seeing its effect on the RF spectrum. Take
a look at the image of the the range of 700 - 860 kHz of spectrum I saved on
Thursday night on my SDR-IQ, and compare it to the one from tonight:

http://dx-nexus.blogspot.com/

On the pictures shown, the bright white bands are the IBOC
signals.Thebrighter the band, the more intense the signal.

On Thursday the only stations audible with IBOC in this range were WLW and
WOR. Tonight as I listen, there are 8-10 channels *in this range alone* that
are totally covered by the IBOC noise from at least 5 stations, by my count.

The IBOC traces fade in and out as the propagation changes and sometimes
there is less of an effect, sometimes more.

To me, this says those who predicted wholesale trashing of the AM band by
IBOC were closer to being correct than those who predicted lesser impact.
I've been saving bandscans on the SDR-IQ for the past few months, so I'll
have plenty of "before IBOC" to compare with the "after IBOC" situation.

Brett Saylor
Central PA