Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] First nighttime skywave HD

On Saturday 15 September 2007 00:22, Scott Fybush wrote:
> Is it worth the tradeoff, in the big picture? Probably not - but I've
> got to be even-handed here and say there IS an upside.

Here's my take on the tradeoff(s).  When an AM station decides to run IBOC,
they have to reduce their analog audio bandwidth, which may be perceived as
lower quality by some listeners.  Some listeners may also experience an
increase in noise due to the presence of the digital signal.  That's a
tradeoff that the station has to consider.

However, if your digital signal also causes increased interference to other
stations, impacting their analog service and their bottom line, that's not a
tradeoff anymore... after all, you may get significant interference in
return, or you may not.  I'd call it boorish behavior that would be illegal
if it were not sanctioned by the FCC.  The FCC erred by bowing to the
broadcast lobby groups and accepting their assurances that all would be well,
and they need to get the message that they blew it.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON