Re: [IRCA] Frank Zappa

> Probably the easiest (but maybe not the best) analogy to describe Frank
> Zappa would be asking you to remember the first time you saw Little
> Richard...

He had one of the most unique takes on music of anyone I can think of..
Dental Floss Tycoon?  Growing that in Montana?  Yikes!

> He was an excellent musician though few ever really noticed.  He
> wanted to be different, and he did it well.  There was a lot of shock
> value to his music and he plowed through what many considered
> acceptable or objectionable, and he spared no expense with on-stage
> theatrics.  Because he was a musical wizard, he was able to do it
> for more than 20 years before he died of cancer.

One of my more memorable radio moments was hearing the song (story?) "Billy
the Mountain" on WBCN in the 70's.  It was in the evening, and about halfway
through the jock finally gave up trying to bleep the obscenities.  It was
flat-out hilarious.  I played that for my son once he hit an age where
obscenity was no longer a problem.  He just carried a sort of puzzled look
through the whole thing.  (shrug)  I guess you have to be of the right
generation to understand Zappa..

And that's all I'll say about that..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI