Re: [IRCA] AC twin lead or speaker wire for lead in.

--- Rick Kunath <k9ao@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Patrick Martin wrote:
>
> > I wish I had a real dummy load, as I could check it better.
>
> They're pretty cheap in low wattage sizes. Or you could use a
> standard
> CATV 75 ohm terminator, 2 for a buck at Radio Shack. They're just a
> 75
> ohm resistor in an F type terminator cap.
>
> > but
> > grounding the shield with the antenna disconnected, I fiqure I
> should be
> > getting nothing but the locals. That is not the case.
>
> Unless you are terminating the coax into a shielded connector at the
> antenna end, and into the receiver's unbalanced coax input, you
> aren't
> testing for ingress right. If you have a properly installed connector
> at
> each end, a well shielded receiver, and screw on a dummy load or
> terminator on the antenna end, then you'll know what your ingress is.
>
> Adding a common mode choke will at the receiver end will tell you if
> you
> have leakage there.

*** This is - put more clearly than I could have - the point I was
aiming at by suggesting that the problem hadn't yet been adequately
identified. I understand that getting CBU at strength on just the coax
isn't right, but that also isn't directly indicative of what the
problem is. What Rick suggests would be much more conclusive and is
cheap.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]