[IRCA] Mystery carrier on 1181

UNIDENTIFIED. I made my first check of the mystery 1181 kHz carrier at
0230-0240 UT August 19. First of all, it`s definitely a carrier on 1181.0 and
not a tone modulated from an 1180 station. There is nothing matching it on the
low side at 1179.

It should not be called a `tone` since the tone we hear is only produced by the
carrier beating against 1180 stations. But can anyone pull any modulation of
its own on 1181? 1181 should not be called a `het` either, since the heterodyne
is produced only by the proximity of 1180 and 1181 kHz carriers and has no
independent existence of its own.

I spent about 10 minutes swiveling on my porch with the battery-powered DX-398,
which has a pretty good null with its ferrite bar antenna. I would have
preferred to get out in the middle of the yard further from metallic
influences, but it`s been drizzling. Maybe later. This indicated the signal is
approximately 120/300 degrees from here, i.e. a bit closer to NW/SE than to
WNW/ESE. I would say the margin of error is plus or minus 5 degrees.

Checking this great circle on a globe, the line runs approximately from Seaside
to Boise to Denver to Enid to Jackson to Tampa to Miami to Port-au-Prince to
Georgetown. That puts it slightly north of Cuba, but Cuba is within the margin
of error, which lends credibility to my theory that is could be one of the 1180
Cuban jamming transmitters which has simply been bumped up exactly 1 kHz to
become more of a nuisance. Surely DXers in the East can get bearing of similar
accuracy to help us triangulate it. 73, Glenn Hauser, Enid OK