Re: [IRCA] AC twin lead or speaker wire for lead in.

Re: [IRCA] AC twin lead or speaker wire for lead in.

> In a well-built system, disconnecting the coax from the matching
transformer
> ought to leave you with no pickup. "well built" means using coax that
> totally shields the conductor, grounding the shield well, and keeping
pickup
> on the shield from getting to the radio by using "choke baluns".
>
> The easiest part to improve may be the coax: Radio Shack sells about the
> poorest grade of coax made with respect to shield coverage, or used to. I
> don't see that spec on their web site now.

That's exactly what I thought.  When the dummy antenna was connected to the
receiver, no signals at all.  Put in the 150' of RS coax, and viola!  Just
like a BOG of 150'.  However, when I swapped out the RS stuff for an
equivalent length of brand new Belden RG-6 and new connectors - and got no
change, then it became a head scratcher.

As I said, I am puzzled as to how signals get in a shielded cable.  The
Belden has 100% foil shielding plus an aluminum braid drain.  Maybe the quad
foil shield would be better.  At this point I'm not sure it's worth the cost
to buy a box and find out.

One of my clients had a 160' run of Andrew heliax at 75 ohm impedence,
bought by mistake (by someone else).  I should track it down and buy it from
them.  If signals got into that, then there is no hope..

Hey, I'm open to suggestions!  The goal is to get a way to move a range of
signals from Point A to Point B without tainting them.  I'd even consider an
RF to fiber optic conversion..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI