Re: [IRCA] Complaining about IBOC (was WBT IBOC test)

Re: [IRCA] Complaining about IBOC (was WBT IBOC test)

Saul,

I guess you do have a point. If the AM band becomes so trashy we cannot
DX, or QSL, what's the difference? But I do have a feeling that there is
a long way to go before that happens, if it happens.
I have a friend who moved to South Korea some years back, as a contract
engineer for the goverment. That is an option I guess? :) But whatever
the case, if IBOC gets widespread then the AM dial is gone.
You know, one other thought that has not been brought up enough is that
what about rural America? If everything left goes HD and analog goes,
then the rest of us will have to find another source for entertainment.
As HD Radio, at least AM HD will do me little good. I really doubt any
of the stations here will go HD. So if they don't survive, what is the
future?  At least in Canada, Star Choice uplinks a nice variety of AM &
FM stations across the country. The future for me? I will go down with
the ship if that happens and then move back to the Tropical bands and
Short Wave as I did before. But again, we don't know how this will
playout. For all practical purposes I don't think people will be buying
the radios. There are too many other things. Unless in 5 or 10 years
your car radio or cheapie portable have IBOC built in for $50-$100, then
it might fly. Too many flies in the ointment.
    By the way, I finally got the Ibiquity website to work and again it
is not up to date. 730 Boise is not on their list, unless I missed it
somehow. Neither is KFBK-1530. So it is hard to tell which AM stations
are using IBOC and which ones aren't.  But I have noticed a slight hash
on 1220 at night here, and KSJK-Talent (Medford) OR is supposed to be
HD, so that might be the source of the hash, but not enough to mess up
the channel much.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin