[IRCA] LIVE ON I-5

Took a quick trip up and back to Richmond, BC on Friday/Saturday and
noted the following:
540  WPVT605 Bellingham, WA WSDOT. Certainly not one of the most
brilliantly-selected frequencies what with KARI-550 splatter
mutilating them in most of their coverage area.
1520 UNK calls, Everett, WA with NOAA weather
1520 WPVZ859 Blaine WSDOT
1580 KPVD859 Burlington WA WSDOT. Somehow or other I think this is
really WPVZ859 and that I simply mis-transcribed it. It would not be
the first time WSDOT had the same calls running at the same time from
two places; Federal Way and Auburn are both on 1520 with the same calls
1630 WQFL242 Mount Vernon, "The In-FARM-ation Traveler Information
Station." Nice try at making it sound good with broadcast-quality
audio (rather than telephones). However, half the messages have a
very bad 60 hz hum on them.

Once you get across the border (actually you can hear it a mile or
two on the US side) you can tune in to Surrey (BC) Information Radio
on 88.3. This will tell you, among other things, the estimated wait
in line as you go through customs. After you get through, just don't
worry about the highway sign promoting this service as being on 88.9.
The same sign was up more than a year ago. There is an
internationally-programmed station on 88.9 (predominantly French but
not // to CBC FM French service) which I have yet to identify.

1520 is becoming a popular TIS/HAR frequency out here; this is not
too swift as the Oregon City station batters them in many areas, day
and night.

I didn't do any AM DXing in Richmond from the Delta Hotel; there were
images all over the dial when I got there and I was too tired to do
any tuning at night.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n