Re: [IRCA] DX logging: WYFQ-930, Charlotte, N. Carolina

At 11:41 PM 7/9/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Charles-
>That is some real DX you have there. Must be all of, what, 35 miles???
>
>Have you ever thought of trying to log each county in North Carolina? I have
>half of them with AM stations, logged. Also am working on do the same for
>Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. Only 4 more counties for
>Tennessee. It would mean being up in time for sun rise skip.
>
>73's
>
>Willis

Willis,

WYFQ is long-haul stuff. Without checking my charts, maybe 150 miles, hi.
But since I'm starting over, it still goes into the log.

There are still five stations within a 100-mile radius that I haven't
logged:

WCNC 1240 Elizabeth City. Logged 1991 on my 700-foot minibeverage and
           from Indianapolis. SS//WZBO Edenton, audible days. Have
            heard SS on 1240 at around sunset. Think this is WCNC, but
            no ID yet. Blocked by WJNC, Jacksonville
WPJL 1240 Raleigh. Blocked by WJNC, Jacksonville.
WLQM 1250 Franklin. Blocked by local WGHB, Farmville.
WIZS 1450 Henderson. Blocked by WNOS, New Bern & WRNN, Myrtle Beach, SC
WCIE 1490 Spring Lake. Blocked by WWNB, New Bern, WAZZ, Fayetteville
           & WWIL, Wilmington.
WDUR 1490 Durham. Same as above.

It's interesting to note that I hear only one other weak carrier
beneath WJNC-1240. Probably WCNC. That comes from living near the
coast.

Eastern coastal NC as far as 50 mile inland is sparsely populated.
On the Outer Banks, only WOBX-1530, Wanchese, is on the air.

Remember back maybe 9 months ago we discussed this briefly? I mean
county chasing. You said you were 1 county shy of logging all (active)
Tennessee counties. Apparently one discovered 3 counties that are active
that you didn't know about.

Maybe can string a 1,100-foot beverage this coming winter.

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina