[IRCA] CFB (Compact Florescent Bulbs) - Revisited

[IRCA] CFB (Compact Florescent Bulbs) - Revisited

  This past April and May, there was a discussion about Compact
Florescent Bulbs. At the time, I thought that I recalled something about
the possibility of a medical issue regarding florescent Bulbs, but I was
unable to locate anything in my medical books. However, I recently had
an opportunity to talk with a neurologist (M.D.) whom I have known for
years, and an EEG (electroencephalograph) technician — this is used to
measure brain activity, or lack thereof). I specifically asked about
Compact Florescent Bulbs AND old-style florescent bulbs (ones found in
classrooms, grocery stores, etc).

The incidence of a reaction to the old-style florescent bulbs has been
documented over the years; the new CFB style has virtually no
documentation on which to make a comment.

In talking with them, the following was confirmed:

    * Florescent light bulbs "operate" at a very low frequency in the
      less than 100 Hertz range - a frequency which the human eye can
      detect, but not see. The brain, however, receives the eye's report
      and can "see" the light
    * A VERY SMALL number of people can react to the bulb's operating
      frequency by:
          o Having a seizure - VERY, VERY few - the neurologist could
            recall of hearing of only a single case;
          o Headaches may occur with varying levels of discomfort; and,
          o Some may go into a trance-like state: simply staring at
            "nothing" (deer in headlights reaction)

Getting old(er) and more rebellious, I'm tired of the government
dictating to me. That said, I'll either need to stock up on incandescent
bulbs or go the LED route. Wonder if my XYL would get upset if I maxed
out the credit card on incandescent bulbs? Gulp?

Although I do have a medical background, including some neurology, I can
honestly say that I understood only a little of what the Doc and Tech
told me. Fortunately, they subscribed to the Voice of America method of
presentation: "This is the Doc and Tech. The following program is in
special English."

Very 73 de Mike