Re: [IRCA] Re IRCA 38-54-3 German?

Hi Maria,

That is very interesting. 3 of my grandparents grew up
in the U.S. (Michigan & Pennsylvania) but spoke German
within the household. But all of their parents
insisted that the children must learn English in
school.

I sometimes feel that I am Dutch by assimulation as
there are a large number of both Germans and Dutch
here in Michigan, particularly on the west side of the
state. Listening to shortwave radio for 40 years, I
can listen to Dutch or German language programs and
generally understand the content, but I get in trouble
if I am asked to speak in either language.

I am very happy to see you on our list, and I wish you
the best.

P.S. Our family name actually was Müller but in the
mittelfrankendeutsch dialect, it was pronounced Miller
so we went with pronunciation instead of written.

73  Joe Miller