[IRCA] Radio Heritage Foundation's Newsletter 17

[IRCA] Radio Heritage Foundation's Newsletter 17

For anyone interested:
----
Welcome

Hello. I'm David Ricquish in Wellington, New Zealand. I'd like to
welcome
you if you're one of our many new readers this time, and greet you if
you're
one of our thousands of regular readers who like to learn what's new
and of
interest at www.radioheritage.net.

Warm Thanks!

Many of you take the time to write in with your comments, suggestions,
corrections and, of course, your memories, or send us items for the
collections, some of you buy our good books, make very welcome
donations, or
help us with work on a number of projects...and to all you folks, our
warm
thanks....you're really making a difference and contributing to our
shared
success!

Let's briefly look at what's new, and I'm sure you'll find something
of
interest amongst these items now online at www.radioheritage.net.

WVTK Leyte - Good Morning Hanoi

Bob Campbell shares a hilarious story from his time at Armed Forces
Radio
WVTK Leyte in 1945.....read why he had to shoot singing star Roy
Acuff  [and listen to the CD of Roy's Greatest Hits]...whilst an
Australian
couple share more recent stories about working for the Voice of
Vietnam from
their just released book 'Good Morning Hanoi' and, if you like the
excerpt,
you can also buy the book online from us......

KSBK Okinawa

Another inside story, this time from Bill Conine, who, amongst other
radio
jobs, used to manage XMHA in Shanghai in the late 1940's. Bill
explains how
he started KSBK in Okinawa in the 1950's...... the station that gave
a US
radio star his first job....and it's all there in 'KSBK 880 AM Naha'
at
www.radioheritage.net.

Arthur Cushen - Jonathan Marks

Blind New Zealand radio listener Arthur Cushen wrote many
broadcasting columns, and we've added 'ZK1ZA Cook Islands Educational
Radio'
from his collection, whilst Jonathan Marks [of Radio Netherlands fame]
writes a contemporary column 'What Caught My Eye' for today's radio
professionals that's so good we can't understand why we overlooked
including
it before!

7QT Queenstown - Don't Touch That Dial

Australian readers will enjoy the latest in the 'Long Lost Australian
Radio
Stars' series, with 7QT Queenstown, one of the few stations ever
managed by
a woman [Irene Wedd] for many decades...and Wayne Mac's 400
page encyclopedia of Australian commercial radio covering the late
1950's to
the 1980's ['Don't Touch That Dial'] is reviewed at
www.radioheritage.netand, thanks to Wayne, if you make a donation to
our activities, you'll get
this fantastic book as a thank you gift! All the details are online
and it
really is a 'must' have if you're involved with Australian radio, or
have
ever enjoyed listening to it.

The Deep Vaults Reveal

>From the deep vaults, you'll enjoy our pictorial visit to 'KRHO
Honolulu' in
1944, our photo of WSZD Ponape [check the Long Lost Radio Images for
other
gems], Bob Hopes collection of great music 'Armed Forces Radio - A
Night
with the Stars' CD....

Keith Urban

For some modern entertainment [New Zealand born US country music
superstar
Keith Urban's best man at his wedding to Nicole Kidman was a brother
who
used to run Daydream FM in Queensland, Australia] visit
www.radioheritage.net to read 'Urban Daydream'!

Radio Shacks

Amateur radio readers all over the world are already telling friends
about
the 'Radio Shacks' item now online from the Quartz Hill
Collection...check
it out today and see what's causing all the buzz from Poland to Japan
and
from Russia to California. Great gear, great radio shacks. More to
come, as
we sort through some 30,000 cards!

ARRL Publicity

The ARRL this week chose www.radioheritage.net as their 'surfin' site
of the
week and said some very nice things about us....including the fact it
will
take you days to enjoy all the great content. That's why we recommend
you
use the Google search box to help find your way around!

Radio Australia Publicity

If you listened to Radio Australia's 'In the Loop' program last week,
the
genial hosts of the show grilled us gently for 15 minutes about the
entertaining information on Pacific radio you'll find using that
Google
search box [enough advertising], and readers of magazines such as
'Older &
Bolder' and 'Heritage Matters' in New Zealand have been sending in
their
radio memories as part of our new Kiwi Radio Campaign that starts
soon.

Babyboomers NZ Radio Dial

Did you know Generation Xers were born wired into the sounds their
Babyboomer Mums and Dads were listening to in the late 1970's? You'll
find
all the stations that New Zealand babyboomers were listening to in the
colorful new  'NZ Radio Dial 1978' article at www.radioheritage.net.
Lots of
fantastic artwork from the station logos and car decals of the era as
well.
Enjoy!

Kiwi Radio Campaign

Actually, it's part of our soft launch for the Kiwi Radio Campaign and
you'll find your personal invitation and some fun examples of how to
get
involved in the new special section at www.radioheritage.net.

You or your business can help kick the campaign off, and several major
sponsors are currently in negotiation for the three year nationwide
campaign. The Pacific Radio Conference [last weekend in September
2008] will
be part of this unique community led campaign to find and protect New
Zealand's radio heritage. Popular culture icons such as music, art,
events,
personalities and advertising form part of this radio heritage that
goes far
beyond celebrating just our audio sounds. Write to
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx details.

Free Radio Guides

Remember, our free access Radio Guides are available 24/7. For AM and
shortwave radio guides covering thousands of stations across the
region, and
thousands of data entries, use the PAL [Pacific Asian Log] and for
the ever
expanding LPFM [Low Power FM] scene in New Zealand, the LPFM Radio
Guide now
has some 1100 separate entries covering more than a decade of local
community radio. If you can update entries and data in any of these
guides,
just write to us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so we can keep them
current.

Good Books, DVDs, CD's

Finally, lots of good books either directly available from us [sorry,
we
sold out of The Pirate Years 40th anniversary of Radio Hauraki book]
as well
as the double DVD about Australian Vintage Radio [just 26 copies left
then
they're all gone also] or through our online book store, and please
visit
the Pacific Radio Shack pages for hundreds of great radio related
books,
magazines, CD's, DVD's and more....all available today at
www.radioheritage.net.

Donations via VISA/Mastercard

The Radio Heritage Foundation is an independent registered non-profit
charity supported by individuals and businesses just like you.
Donations via
creditcard can be made at any time at any page at
www.radioheritage.net and
are gratefully received to help us continue this work to collect,
protect
and celebrate the radio heritage of the Pacific. New Zealand
donations of $5
or more are tax deductible.

Thanks for your support!

Radio Heritage Foundation, PO Box 14339, Wellington 6241, New Zealand.
Website: www.radioheritage.net, Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered
Charity # 1473801.
----