Re: [IRCA] longwire antennas

At 10:25 PM 5/6/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>William-
>
>There should ne no scarifice in performance as long as you keep the wire
>as straight as possible.  I suggest you add as much lenghth as you
>possibly can.  But, I do have a question about your steep hillside.
>   Does your wire run up the hillside or down?  Ideally, your wire should
> run DOWN the slope and not up.    Also, what is your location?  Good luck.
>
>--
>Marc DeLorenzo
>South Dennis, MA

=====================================================================================================
William,

Go ahead and string the antenna tree-to-tree. I wrote a piece about
doing the same thing back in about 1991. ENCEBE. In the IRCA
reprints.

As long as the wire maintains a fairly straight route, it loses no
directivity. But it must be terminated, and I would recommend driving
a four-foot ground rod and using a resistor of about 560 ohms.

Fair Radio Sales Co. sells WD-1A/TT "field phone wire" at $45 for
500 feet.

This is two-conductor stuff. It tends to have some splices. I
split off the wires and splice them end-to-end.

What makes WD-1A/TT wire so attractive is its durability. It
consists of three strands of steel wire and four strands of copper
wire, insulated by a very durable hard plastic. Solder-splicing it
is very easy with a 100-watt gun. Tape the splices so they don't
contact tree branches.

73, Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina