Re: [IRCA] WCSL-1590 10 kW or 1 kW

--- Charles A Taylor <MWDXer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ,
>
> So you're saying that WCSL and WYSR may have PSSAs for 500 watts?

*** I wasn't. 500 is the max for a PSSA, and would need to be channels
with fewer stations.

> If that's true, then WABV probably should have a PSSA, because their
> situation vis-à-vis fulltimers on 1590 is about the same as WCSL,
> WYSR and WHPY. But Paul Esther Blodgett Walker shore woulda told us
> if he had a one-a them there 500-W PSSAs.

*** WABV's April PSSA powers are 22 watts from 2000-2030; 12 watts from
2030-2100 and 10 watts 2100-2200. Not going to ber a barnburner of a
signal, that's for sure....

> How did this undocumented PSSA thing come about?

*** When the FCC brought these out, they calculated powers more or less
on request IIRC. In many cases, stations did not choose to use them as
at that time there were very few transmitters which could handle powers
under 250 watts at all, much less 3 different ones.

Stations intending to use them had to notify the FCC in writing of that
fact, and those telegrams, letters, whatever, as 'incoming'
correpsondence, didn't always make it into the FCC records. Then they
lost batches of them, so they were never included in the initial
automation of the databases. It is only with this latest revision that
the info is accessible.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]