Re: [IRCA] Calling Radio Stations [was: Towers and government]

Re: [IRCA] Calling Radio Stations [was: Towers and government]

Hi Marc-
You reminded me of the time when I was living in Dallas, TX, 7 January 1969,
and I had just come home from work, at 0300. I was tuning around and on 900
kc there was
CJVI in Victoria, BC.  They were top 40 back then, and the DJ said, "If you
to here a song, call...." So I did, boy was he surprised! He put me on the
air, and we talked for about 5 minutes. Never heard the station again.

But those days are gone forever.

Willis

> One time around January 1972, I was doing an all-night DX session at my
place near the beach in Hyannis, MA.  Former IRCAn/NRCer Frank Waldron was
visiting from NJ.  Around 0200 we heard a tester on 1550 which was a wide
open channel in those days after CBE's nightly signoff.  Turned out to be
the (now defunct?) station from New Smyrna Beach, FL (WCCZ I believe).  So,
I called the station.  The guy was amazed that we heard his signal over a
thousand miles away.   I'll never forget the look on Waldron's face when I
said into the phone, "What!  you're only running 84 watts?"