Re: [IRCA] OT: Semi-Monthly QSL Rant

Two cents' worth from the station's point of view...

We still have a couple of cassette decks in production rooms at WXXI,
though they get almost no use (mostly for playback after we have to send
a freelance reporter out to cover a news event and all our digital field
recorders are already in use, so they get sent out with the battered old
Marantz cassette decks that still live in a bottom drawer.)

A DX report that comes in on cassette probably won't be listened to,
unless it happens to find its way to one of the DXers on staff, and even
then I'm not going to spend any time searching through anything that
doesn't come already cued up. (I still haven't found the spare time to
listen to my OWN audio of the KMTI test, thankyouverymuch...)

OTOH, one of the Scandinavians heard us recently and sent our operations
manager a short audio clip on CD, which was posted to our internal
network for anyone in the building to listen to and enjoy. I believe
he'll be getting some goodies in the mail before long. (And no, Joe in
MI, we haven't forgotten about you, either!)

It's a pretty good bet that the next set of studio renovations won't
include any cassette equipment at all.

(speaking only for myself, not in any official capacity for WXXI)