Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the     broadcasters' mailing list

Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the     broadcasters' mailing list

Kevin,

Where is all this money you are talking about? First people have to be
willing to buy the radios. I don't see that happening. The FCC is not
going to mandate something that is a total flop. The US is run on money.
Money talks and there is a lot more money going out the door than coming
in as far as IBOC goes.  An engineer told me to set up IBOC for a 5 KW
station. The cost of the new transmitter was $65K. I don't know what all
of the other equiptment cost. But it will take a long time for a 5 KW
station to recoup that money, if they ever will. Where is the extra
money supposed to come from? The station is in a smaller market close to
a large market and is Spanish. If the FCC mandates IBOC, then people
will find another source for Entertainment. It sure is not going to be
IBOC. If IBOC was mandated, then AM radio is gone. I don't see it.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager