Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: Another perspective on AM IBOC, from thebroadcasters' mailing list

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: Another perspective on AM IBOC, from thebroadcasters' mailing list

I've had a Boston Acoustics HD radio at home for a couple of months now,
and haven't listened to it since the first week we got them at KSMU.
None of our local AMs have put HD on the air, and none of the FMs that
have it--my station included--is doing anything interesting with the
secondary etc. channels, or indeed anything at all.  We will actually
program our secondary channel with all jazz (I think), but it hasn't
happened yet.

But since there are no local AMs running HD, my only recourse has been
to try and decode HD audio via skywave... and even with stations
producing a virtually city-grade signal in analog, it's been no dice
here so far. I get the visual ID, but no digital audio.  Obviously no
one in this metro area (Springfield, MO) currently has much reason to
want to "upgrade" to HD... slim pickings on FM--only 3 local stations so
far are even broadcasting in HD on the FM band--and NO AM stations
running HD (nor, from what I've heard, do they have any intention of
doing so in the near future).

Randy Stewart
Springfield MO