Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

Re: [IRCA] Another perspective on AM IBOC, from the broadcasters' mailing list

This seems like almost total nonsense. The IBOC energy from an adjacent
channel lands directly in the frequencies of the channel you are tuned to.

Example: if you are tuned to 750, a station on 760 with  IBOC will produce
IBOC signals at 750, and everwhere else from 745 to 775.

If you're tuned to 750, you have no way to differentiate between the signal
from the 750 station and the IBOC from the 760 station - they are both in
the same frequency range.

The only way around this is to know something about the pattern of the IBOC
energy.
Unfortunately, it's "scrambled". The IBOC signal(s) also depends on the
audio data being transmitted which we don't know. Combine those two and we
have a fairly random bunch of IBOC energy. (Hence the almost white noise
sound.)

Non-techies skip this: If you were to know the exact decoded bits, you could
(at least in some cases) deduce the state of all the little IBOC
subcarriers. You could then subtract that out of the total signal you
received and clean things up. That's a lot of work, and also impossible
unless iBiquity suddenly goes egalitarian and decides to give us access to
the decoded bits.

Forget the magic IBOC filter. The Cubs will win the World Series first.

Chuck