Re: [IRCA] QRRe: A idea for future DX Tests.....

Re: [IRCA] QRRe: A idea for future DX Tests.....

Brandon's points are well taken, as are Russ's. For those who
are new to this technique, the performance of the mode works
out pretty closely to a simple logarithmic formula.

If dot length is 1 second, then the same signal with a 2 second dot
length works twice as well. Not quite, but close enough for this
discussion.

The limiting factor on LF has always been stability of the receiver and
transmitter (which is why TXCO's are often used) and the time of the
propagation window. Commercial transmitters are usually pretty stable,
so dot lengths at 1 second or even longer shouldn't be a problem.

Using this technique it's quite common to detect and identify signals
visually that are a good 10db or more under the "noise floor". That would
make coast to coast receptions of even graveyard tests possible----
and spectacular receptions from places like New England, Alaska, or
Hawaii achieve.

I'd love to test the theory with a willing station soon. If we continue to
include
sweep tones, Morse Code at normal speeds, etc. then I don't see why
anyone would object.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867