[IRCA] More IBOC

This news item culled from a mailing I received this morning.  It seems that
we may finally have the other shoe drop, be it to allow night IBOC or reject
it.  If they act on it, then we'll know.

-=-=-=-=-=-
The FCC's ready to tackle final authorization for
digital (HD Radio).
Digital audio is Item #2 on the unwieldy agenda for next Thursday's
monthly meeting. It would be a real boost to HD Radio to move toward
permanent service rules - and that would include addressing AM nighttime
digital.
-=-=-=-=-=-

I still say that allowing night IBOC will be a very serious mistake.  Even
day IBOC is pretty much a waste of spectrum.  The coverage is significantly
less than analog, is fragile and easily disrupted by any number of things,
and there are essentially zero receivers.  If the receiver penetration is
1%, I'd be surprised.

Fortunately I have other hobbies.  Karate, automobiles, ham radio, and I'm
think of joining the Mumbly Peg World Tour.

<end monthly IBOC rant>

Craig Healy
Providence, RI