[IRCA] AS LONG AS YOU ASKED

When I was at WQAM doing the all night show several lifetimes ago, we
were 5000/1000 non-directional and could go to 5kw at 4am. The DA-2s
such as WIOD had to wait until sunrise to go to daytime facilities. I
always made a ritual out of it warning people to turn down their
audio because they were about to get blasted. It was always
comforting and reassuring to look out the window and see the big fat
tower sitting there right on the water in Biscayne Bay. We were
supposed to monitor off air, naturally, but the CE had cut the bass
so it always sounded thin on good equipment, so I often listened off
the console instead. Naughty naughty - but an alarm would sound if
the carrier went off so no problem. We did have some listenership in
the early mornings around the Caribbean during the winter. Anyway,
the FCC changed this some time after I left in 1957 so 'QAM had to
wait until LSR to go to 5kw. DX historians (and even curmudgeons) are
welcome to specify the year this policy changed.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop