[IRCA] WABV transmitter muddy audio

At 06:36 PM 2/25/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Pretty much such.
>
>Mainly, I was trying to tinker with my audio to see if I could get it
>sounding any better. It's kinda muddy right now.....
>
>Paul

Paul,

Since you didn't go into much detail, I'll assume that you had a bad
modulator tube.

Assuming a pair of  833s (e.g.) in a push-pull configuration: Now that
you replaced one, you should replace the other as now they are
probably unbalanced.

Since that's probably not easy on the station budget, I'd suggest
that you try to increase the negative feedback around the modulator.

Wish I could look into your transmitter. You didn't write what you're
using.

AM transmitters have a special place in my heart. Built my own 10-W
BCB transmitter when I was a teenager. Got kicked off the air twice
by the FCC.

Last hands-on work was on the driver of an old VOA Continental
420A (500-kW) SW transmitter. Driver cabinet went from synthesizer
level to 2.5-kW RF output. That was 2001.

My "Official Notice of Apparent Violations" for WISK-1110 and WARQ-
1110 (Indianapolis) were my "licenses" at VOA. HI!

THREE SCORE AND THIRTEEN (=73),

Charles

        -----
Charles A Taylor, WD4INP