Re: [IRCA] 774 kHz level 5 carrier 0529 UT

At 05:31 27/01/2007, you wrote:

>Anyone on the West Coast notice a carrier on 774 kHz.  It's 0529 UT
>and the carrier is level 5.  Would be interested if others on the
>West Coast can receive the carrier.

This evening at 0522UT, I'd set up Spectrum Lab to try to find the
fade in time of my mystery carrier on 774, Dennis, and was also
monitoring the likely frequency for JOUB as well, which is about 5
Hertz higher. Talk about serendipity!

I've just run a chart of the resulting data and....Unfortunately, I
wasn't getting anything on either frequency at 0529UT using the
westerly Flag, it was all still noise on the channel, so you must
have some sort of pipeline there.

Nothing faded in until after 0600, and within minutes of each other,
around 0606UT, both the suspected JOUB carrier, and the mystery
carrier faded in.  Now, this is over 90 minutes before Akita sunset
(~0750UT), but I've seen that before; first peak occurred at
0619.   Suva sunset is at 0647UT, so this, and the fact that this
signal is only heard on the westerly Flag (not the northerly one,
that rejects signals south of about 250 degrees), points to the
mystery being Fiji, though this isn't listed in the references at
present;  Bruce Portzer saw it noted on the R. Fiji website
(http://www.radiofiji.com.fj/index.cfm?si=main.station&station=rftwo).

best wishes,

Nick