Re: [IRCA] 1660 WDAF Kansas City KS enquiry

Barry:

>From what I've read on radio boards here in Kansas City, the KXTR calls went
back to the FCC database rather than going to 106.5 FM.

Here's the Web site for 106.5 FM, which is now calling itself "The Wolf."
Unfortunately I don't know what its new calls are.

Oddly enough, The Wolf's owner, Entercom, still has the old WDAF-FM logo up
at http://entercomkc.com.

73,

Tim Kridel

-----Original Message-----
From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of BARRY DAVIES
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 3:18 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] 1660 WDAF Kansas City KS enquiry

Hello Scott
  Many thanks for the clarification for which I will give you credit in my
next column. I QSLed the KXTR call and see it a tad more valuable than a W
call on this side of The Pond. Will KXTR go to 106.5 FM?

  Barry

Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  BARRY DAVIES wrote:
> Hello IRCA'ers DX-midAMerica reports that 1660 has changed calls from
> KXTR to WDAF. Can any one confirm that 1660 is simulcasting country
> music from 106.5 FM? If so, would this be permitted long term?
>
> Barry Davies Editor North American News MWC UK

The FCC no longer enforces any restrictions on AM/FM simulcasting, so yes,
it would be permitted - but it's not what's happening here. The
106.5 facility is changing call letters, as it tries to ditch what's
perceived as the "old" WDAF calls and the heritage they carry, and Entercom
wants to keep the calls in the family, so they're moving them to the
classical AM on 1660, which will remain classical.

Rather a dumb move, if you ask me, since the KXTR calls that were on 1660
have a long classical heritage of their own in Kansas City, having spent
many decades in use on 96.5 FM there.