[IRCA] Low Tech Streaming Audio

Here's an interesting phenomenon regarding internet streaming audio from México ... The identification of XEWF-540 Tlamanalco, Edo. de México, on Fred Cantú's website and my finding a link to XEWF's audio on the Radiorama website: http://www.radiorama.com.mx/secciones.php?sec_id=32<about:blank> scroll to Distrito Federal has prompted me to monitor this station on the web in hopes of finding address and telephone numbers for the Mexican station list I'm putting together.

The first night I monitored I found a very weak signal that turned out to be audio from "W Radio." But WRTH-07 lists XEWF-540 using the former XEWF-1420 slogan, "Radio Poderosa," but reporting a s/off at 0100 UTC .. This morning (CST) I find XEWF "Colorín Coloradio, quinientos-cuarenta" streaming on the Radiorama link, record a number of IDs, and come back at 0100 UTC to try to catch a sign/off. But it goes on until 10 p.m. CST (0400 UTC), when the MxNA is played. When the anthem ends, there's open carrier with "W Radio" programming behind it.

During occasional pauses in XEWF's operation, I could hear faint signal from another station, and I found the same situation on XECO-1380, another Radiorama station in México City ... a faint signal behind it.

Radiorama, apparently, is streaming its audio not from the station control rooms but from an off-air feed! This seems a bit low tech to me, eh?

By the way, "Colorín Colorado" uses pre-pubescent talent, with call and slogan and other announcements given by youngsters whose voices have not yet changed. Music tends toward what we used to call "bubblegum rock" 30 or 40 years ago ...

The sad thing about all this is the XEWF-1420 was located in Cuernavaca, Morelos before its move to Tlamanalco. The move leaves just 3 AM stations in Morelos -- XEASM-1340, XEJPA-1190, and XEART-1520.

Tlalmanalco is 12 miles from the Morelos border. WRTH-07 lists its power as 20 kw., so it would not be an impossible catch when conditions (and antennas) are right!

John Callarman, Krum TX