Re: [IRCA] KRBC TV tower collapse

Willis said: Did you notice the type of antenna they had? In the 4th row
down on the right it shows they had 'bat-wings.'
//////////
Willis in the photo just before the one with the batwing there is a
closeup of a helical antenna sticking out of the debris pile. I presumed
that the helical was probably at the top of the tower and the batwing
was either an auxiliary or a temporary to get them back on the air. The
batwing doesn't appear to have any damage so it probably was not on the
tower when it came down. If it was where it is now when the tower came
down it is a miracle that it didn't get hit. Hopefully the batwing isn't
running any significant power since there will obviously be a lot of
crews working in close proximity to it during the cleanup.

I believe one of the stations on Lookout Mountain here has (or had) a
single element batwing as an auxiliary antenna. It had huge wings so I
am thinking it might have been channel 2. It was close to the ground and
looked surreal all by itself since you usually expect to see them in
multi-element configurations. The batwing is definitely a classic.
Nothing makes me think of TV transmission more than a batwing in the
sky.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Certified Broadcast Technician
KCKK / KJAC / KCUV