Re: [IRCA] OT computer

At 23:19 15/01/2007, you wrote:

>What passes for DOS behind most Windows - I believe this applies also
>to W98 - is a psuedo-DOS. I am not sure how much difference that makes,
>but there are other issues. Most old DOS games will not run on newer
>machines because they were created for much slower processing speeds.
>Any such games that I have left over won't run on anything much over
>100mHz -- most machines today are well more than ten times that. I got
>some to work on my initial 160 mHz Dell, but not all, and nothing
>since...

Dosbox, (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net) is supposed to allow you to
play old games etc. using XP.   I tried it for running Proplab Pro, a
DOS based propagation simulator, but wasn't entirely successful as
there seem to be some video display incompatability with a laptop at
any rate, but others sing its praises for gaming.

Proplab itself went peculiar often enough using DOS and W98 machines,
so one could never be sure how much problem was with the program
anyway.   It's still being sold so someone, somewhere must be using
it successfully. (I guess)

Nick