From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Gil Stacy
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:51 PM
To: Les Rayburn; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Deed Restrictions and DXing

Les,

With a 7' tall fence, you are 2/3 to ½ way up for a collapsible ewe for
nighttime work.  Any way to clamp temporary, lightweight poles at night on
the fence to hold up a ewe 12-15' above the ground with a 30-40' run?
Stealthy  #26 black-jacketed Copperweld is what I use for my ewes.  The camp
commandant, Colonel Klinkette, to whom I'm married, can spot a new antenna
in our yard a mile away, at night, in a fog bank while looking the other way
with her eyes closed.  But not the ewe and she has walked underneath it
every day for almost two months.  It straddles the home's entrance sidewalk
18' above, and the vertical elements parallel two sweet gum tree trunks 3'
out to the ground.  The terminating resistor assembly is in a 3" long capped
pvc tube, covered with black tape for camouflage; it lies on the lawn and
is tied into the water meter in the front yard for ground    The xrfrmr is
in a small RS project box on a short ground rod.  Emboldened by its
invisibility and performance, 3 weeks ago, I put up another alongside the
house.  We tunnel out of here on the new moon.

If you can put up a flagpole, you can put up a vertical antenna for HF.  You
said bogs were out, but are temporary bogs totally out of the question?  Out
at night, up at dawn, behind the house?  I use military commo wire (WD-1/TT)
for bogs,  After an unsuccessful effort in the front street gutter (the
antenna, not me; most likely there is rebar in curb) earlier this month.
Last night,  I ran it behind the house 500' down the dirt lane. It showed
high promise as it performed very well.  Curiously, the Bog heard VI's WDHP
1620 3 dB lower than the ewe, but ZIZ 555  was 3dB stronger than the ewe.
The ewe and BOG fire the same azimuth, 118 degrees, and St. Thomas and
St.Kitts-Nevis are roughly the same bearing (within 2 degrees) and distance
(within a 100 miles).  The Bog takes 3 minutes to roll it up on a $6
extension cord reel I bought from HD.

73, Gil NN4CW

Savannah, GA