Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] no test tones at 11 p.m. EST Sunday

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] no test tones at 11 p.m. EST Sunday

> None of the reported test-tone frequencies (590, 1020, 1610) was
active
> with this sort of transmission when checked at 11 p.m. EST on 3 DEC.
>
> The only 1 kHz tones noted were from TA splits

The posting from Kent said that 1020 was due to go off at
0700 Sunday, and the 590 should be up from Tuesday thru
Friday. So this helps confirm that the apparent schedule
he gave is, at least nominally, being followed.

It's not very clear what Kent's role is in all this. He's
been getting a fair amount of sniping over on the AF list
which is where all the BE talk moved. If he was in
Fayetteville with a FIM-41, that's a clue right there.
There are probably a bunch of other people doing
that, but none of them post here or on any of the
radio tech lists. (post here, and then you post from Club
Gitmo ;-)

The most plausible reason for the test that I can think
of is that a rapidly deployable field antenna is being
tested. I am not the first to think of this.

One could guess that they need both a day and
a night signal to determine skywave fade details. What
is perhaps less clear is whether the signal varies in
strength from one night to another because of changes
in the antenna (and not just fade). This would require
several days of testing. And a tone would provide
the most constant "strength" indicator, amid a sea
of varying carriers which make RF level measurement
problematic.

Then we try to figure out if they are trying to maximize,
or minimize, skywave, groundwave etc.

What they should have done is test on splits. Spread
the pain around a bit, and get a better received level
indicator. Probably couldn't get "authorization".

- Bob                  2352 est