[IRCA] QSL'ing: a couple more thoughts

I am on a roll this morning I guess, with respect to sending in posts.

QSLs, to me, are like 'icing on the cake'.  To receive the station, in the first place, being the cake.  A QSL from the station is a plus that will conjure up memories forever when gazed upon.

Many of the QSLs I possess are going on 40 years of age and, today, conjure up memories of my youth.  A QSL from a station no longer in existence is documentation of radio as it was in another day and time.  A good example would be EKKO stamps which many stations used to distribute back 'in the day'.  A recording of a reception, in my estimation, is also like 'icing on the cake'.

QSL's were, and still are, an important piece of broadcast and dx'ing history.  By the same token, IRCA bulletins from the early days of the club are important from an historical standpoint.  One thing I do not  have in my possession, though I wish I did, are all my old IRCA bulletins.

I'm glad I did go to the trouble of writing reception reports and collecting cards and letters when I was more active in the hobby.  Each QSL I have in my possession has meaning, at least to me.  I don't know that my grandkids would appreciate these personal treasures though.  We live in a vastly different age than that of 40 years ago and these days, personal computers and the Internet are likely a bigger draw for kids than radio was to me 'back in the day'.

The bcb has changed, radios have gotten better, amateur radio has undergone much change and QSL'ing has changed.  Some for these for the better, some for worse...at least from my perspective.  The term 'Monday morning' certainly does not have the same connotation.

Nostalgia 101 class is over.

Jim Nall - Louisville
http://www.n4fxc.com