Re: [IRCA] TA (absent iin NE Oregon, too)

Re: [IRCA] TA (absent iin NE Oregon, too)

Hi,
I'm still up, almost midnight. A bust for TA tonight for me. Barely some
hets on LW; 4 or 5 hets on MW, nothing close to producing audio, even on LW.
Have been listening to a Hawaiian beacon, 353 LLD, Lanai which had been
decommissioned around last April. Someone on ndblist spotted it on again
last night and spread the word. It was the strongest Pacific beacon to be
heard in NA, and had been missed like an old friend. Apparently it was
temporarily reactivated again following the earthquake there. Its offsets
are completely different now, being +/- 400 Hz, making it mostly in the
clear if using a 250Hz CW filter--before it had lots of competition with the
standard 1020Hz offsets.
The signal had been good tonight, showing up right after Hawaiian sunset,
even with no audio filter on, up to about 0640 utc, when the whole LF band
took a dive into the noise. Apparently some solar activity did something.
That lasted for 10 minutes, then gradually LLD was heard, much weaker than
before. Now it's barely heard way in the background, just a shadow of its
strength before 0640. Checking other DX signals indicates it's the whole
band that's affected.
Steve
NE Oregon