[IRCA] WODI 1230khz Brookneal, VA DX Test Results (SO FAR!)

[IRCA] WODI 1230khz Brookneal, VA DX Test Results (SO FAR!)

RESULTS OF WNJC 1360khz DX Test

WODI 1230khz Brookneal, VA

Test Date: October 1st, 2006--??

1KW, Non-Directional Pattern

Our special thanks to Tony DeNicola and Dave Marthouse for running this unique test. They've arranged for each Saturday night from Midnight local until 00:05AM to run a five minute DX test with sweep tones, Morse Code ID's, etc. So far, it's been widely heard. This are the results as of 10/18/06.but remember, it's not too late to log this one! They'll be back on the air this Saturday night! Tune in!

The first night of this unique DX Test coincided with the WNJC Test, with many DX'ers attempting (and succeeding) to log both stations within minutes of each others. Russ Johnson in Lexington, NC was the first to pull off this "DX Double", reporting WODI's Morse Code signals, weak but readable. Next up was Bob Antoniuk of Clifton, NJ, who copied both stations on his stock Sony 2010 using just the internal antenna!

Also logging the first week of the WODI test was Bert New of Watkinsville, GA, Jerry Coatsworth of Merlin, Ontario, Canada, J.D. Stephens in Hampton Cove, AL, and Steve Howe of St. Albans, VT. Rich Line of Sterling Heights, MI used a Drake R8B with a 100' N/S wire to pull in the test, while Brett Saylor used his Icom R-75 and Ten Tec RX-320 with a sloper antenna to turn the trick.

Others hearing the test included Tom Jansinski of Shorewood, IL, and Joe Miller of Troy, MI. This was the 334th MW station that Joe has logged in his short "career" on the broadcast band. Larry Russell of Flushing, MI pulled the test in using a Radio Shack DX-400 and got it on tape. Nice catch, Larry!

Saul Chernos actually heard the test from his car radio in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Saul hears more DX on his car radio than I do with a shack full of gear! Barry McLarnon continues to hear pins drop from his home in Ottawa, Ontario. It must be something in the water up there.

Barry logged the test but didn't need it, having heard WODI before.

Ken Wilson in Central, KY reported the test "easy copy" there on his JRC NRD545 & Wellbrook 2 loop K9AY. Chris in Taylors, SC needed only a Sony Walkman to log the test through interference from WYSL. Another success story came in from Jim Pursel using his ICOM IC-T90A handheld and a homebrew antenna. His home is in Lancaster, PA. So far, that means this test has been logged in 15 states and Canada!

But alas, some of us have not (YET!) been so successful in logging the tests. I appear to be just inside or outside the skip zone of WODI here in Central Alabama. I've heard not a trace of them so far. Likewise, Neil Kazaross reports no joy using his famous beverage on the ground (BOG) antennas either. Others who have so far been disappointed include Wade Smith of New Brunswick, Brandon Jordan, the hard working editor of the DXTESTS.INFO web site was rewarded yet for his efforts either, loved his comment though-"Maybe next week". How many DX tests can you say that about?

Dennis in Vancouver, WA tried all his tricks including Quantum Phasers, a EWE antenna and even a KAZ special with no luck. Don't feel lonely Dave, I'm trying virtually the same guns here with no luck.

Keep trying for this test, and we'll update all the results again in a few weeks.

SOAPBOX

Got them both here just after midnight local. Sweep tones and definitive Morse IDs on my 2010 with stock antenna. Thanks guys!
-Bob Antoniuk, Clifton NJ

I managed to hear the Morse Code and Sweep tones of the WODI DX Test this
week. So I am happy to report this as my 334th MW station logged.

-Joe Miller, Troy, MI

In downtown Toronto ON in the car. Didn't have to go too far mobile - in front of my house was good enough. Thanks Dave et al at WODI!

-Saul Chernos

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867