[IRCA] Maybe they'll find some QSL cards that never got delivered

[IRCA] Maybe they'll find some QSL cards that never got delivered

Mailman's death shrouded in mystery of mail he left behind

BROOKLINE, Mass. - For 20 years, Alan Gagne delivered mail to a tree-
lined neighborhood here - but not all of it.

The postal service said Tuesday he tucked away thousands of circulars
and hundreds of letters in drawers and closets in his apartment.

The authorities discovered the mail Friday when a supervisor, who
worried when Gagne did not show up for work, found him dead in his
apartment on the same street where he made his rounds in this affluent
suburb. The Boston Globe reported the discovery Tuesday.

Some of the mail dates from the 1980s, said Robert Cannon, a spokesman
for the postal service, and about 90 percent of it was circulars
flagged as undeliverable because of an address change. The postal
service is trying to deliver the first-class letters and cards, none
of which were opened, to their rightful recipients, but is having
trouble because the letters are so old.

Cannon said officials do not know why Gagne kept the mail, and
probably never would.

"There appeared to be no rhyme or reason as to how, when, or where he
took the mail or why he was holding onto it," Cannon said. Stealing
mail is a federal offense, but the death voids all charges, he
said. "It's tragic, unfortunate and bizarre."

Gagne, 54, lived on the bottom floor of a yellow duplex on a quiet
tree-lined street filled with parents pushing strollers. A bachelor,
he moved from an apartment around the corner a few years ago,
neighbors said, and apparently took the mail with him. He was
occasionally spotted at a nearby coffee shop and the grocery store,
but he and his habits were as much of a mystery in life as they are in
death.

Neighbors said Gagne was somewhat of an enigma, barely looking people
in the eye but seemingly obsessed with getting the mail to them
properly and on time, leaving them all the more baffled as to how and
why he took the mail.

"When you went away on vacation he would leave photocopied notes in
his unusual, hard-to-read scrawl that you should check your mail
carefully because there might be a problem," said Jonathan Sandler,
35, who was walking by Gagne's Linden Street apartment with his wife
and 20-month-old son. He said Gagne was the best, most thorough
mailman he had ever had. "Al was the mail."

Gagne was, by many accounts, socially awkward and had problems
striking up even casual conversations. He was often heard mumbling to
himself along the route and complained about how heavy the mailbag was.

"Being social was extremely difficult for him, said Jeff Kline, who
lives on the street. "He would answer if I spoke to him, but he
wouldn't strike up a conversation."

"It was even difficult to tip him," Kline added. "I would sort of
press a twenty into his hand and he'd look away. It was very hard for
him to look you in the eye."

Rebecca Scudiere, 25, a medical student who lives in the street's only
large apartment building, said she and her roommates often found their
mail was late and, Thursday, received a large bundle of unsorted mail.
She said she had been "creeped out" by a conversation with Gagne, whom
she saw every day but only acknowledged her once.

"I was getting my mail at the same time he came and he said, Who's
your mail from, your boyfriend? I'd take you out,'" she said. "Aside
from that he was never friendly."

Neighbors said they are more sad than angry about the situation.

"I should be rightfully angry, but I'm surprised. I'd be surprised if
anything of value was taken," Kline said. "I find myself being much
more sad that he could have done this and his life had to be that way
than mad that he took circulars."