[IRCA] WQCL720, 1610, Great Salt Plains OK

[IRCA] WQCL720, 1610, Great Salt Plains OK

** OKLAHOMA. On Monday afternoon Sept 18, on our way to fill up jugs for a few
months` supply of free artesian water, we visited Great Salt Plains State Park,
and National Wildlife Refuge, about an hour NW of Enid, whence a few weeks ago
I had heard just N of Enid on the caradio, a new TIS on 1610.

We were hearing it well several miles to the south, approaching on State Hwy
58. Just past the radome for NWS Vance, the entrance to the state park has a
sign about the 1610 transmitter next to a short pole with solar panels, but
this is not the antenna. We found that a bit further inside on a taller pole,
behind the residence which is across from the park office. We parked in the
shade and recorded the complete loop at local range, which lasted about 10
minutes. Here are notes, but not a verbatim transcript except for the initial
ID:

``This is WQCL-720, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service,
Oklahoma State University, emergency advisory and tourism information radio,
broadcasting at 1610 kHz AM.``

Hello, this is Russell Nichol, manager of Great Salt Plains State Park. GSP
lake surface area is approximately 9000 acres. Has channel catfish, striped
bass, among others. 11000 acres of salt flats on west side in SP NWR. GSP lake
is salt water, about 1/3 that of the ocean. Makes catfish some of best-tasting
anywhere. GSP SP covers approximately 850 acres. Has two RV campgrounds with 64
sites, over 100 tent camping sites, 5 picnic shelters, 6 wholly furnished
cabins, community center for group meetings, park office.

Hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, two equestrian trails, totaling 12
miles on N and S side of park, breathtaking views of landscape, birds and
wildlife. Two equestrian campgrounds.

GSP SP offers world class birdwatching, over 300 species. Additional info on
park, 580 626 4731 or greatsaltplains @ oklahomaparks.com

Salt Plains NWR is part of federal network of lands. Habitat for migratory
birds, more than 300 species, including bald eagles.

High gypsum levels produce selenite crystals with a diamond pattern, unknown
anywhere elsewhere in world. April 1 to Oct 15 on SW side, free collexion of
crystals is permitted; BYO shovel, buckets, and sunscreen. Off Hwy 64 just west
of Jet, S of Cherokee. Stay in designated area. More info: 580-626-4794,
weekdays 7:30 am to 4 pm [CDT = 1230-2100 UT].

Just N of GSP NWR is Byron State Fish Hatchery, 25-30 million fish produced
every year. Established by Okla. Dept. of Wildlife Conservation in 1929 solely
to produce sport fish for statewide distribution. Including walleye, saugeye,
striped bass, hybrid striped bass, large mouth bass, small mouth bass, channel
catfish, sunfish.

Byron Hatchery wildlife area and trail has prairie grasses, building with
display of birds, fish, mammals, insects, native grasses. Bring binoculars.
Need tour? Call 580-474-2663.

And now for your local weather: (Much louder, joined in progress from NWS
weather radio); plus hazardous weather outlook as far as N Texas. Probability:
0 percent (Interrupted in progress, back to):

Go west to State Hwy 11 and US 64 junxion into Cherokee, where there are
several, hundred-year-old churches. One with over 60 original stained glass
windows is being transformed into a community art and entertainment center.
Award-winning Cherokee Nature Park, a city block of flowers, shrubs, trees, to
attract birds, butterflies, wildlife. Play areas for children, swimming pool.

Alfalfa County Courthouse built in 1921, beautifully restored with marble and
furnishings. WWI doughboy statue on lawn, dedicated to vets.

Other outstanding memorials in Helena and Jet, airplanes tanks and monuments.
Carmen has two wonderful museums: Railroad Depot Museum, and Ralph Crane, Jr.
Newspaper Museum.

In Cherokee, tallest bldg in town, 4-story Alfalfa County Historical Society
Museum, open 10-4 Tue, Thu, Fri.

Cemeteries thruout county. In Amorita Cemetery resides a mysterious painter of
red barns, about whom little is known. Famous gunfighter Johnny Fox is in
Cherokee cemetery; settlers and homesteaders.

Drug store in Amorita features art by local artists. [and then starts over with
ID]

We then went to the spillway below the dam and found quite a stinky fishkill of
shad piled up around the edges. And not a single fisherperson in sight, unlike
our previous visit. Some channel cat were visible just below the murky surface,
as well as several turtles.

At park HQ we met Mr Nichol himself, who explained that because of the drought
the spillway pond was at low level, not aerated and apparently getting
stagnant, so nothing could be done about the fishkill. He assured us there are
many more healthy fish in the lake itself.

And he confirmed the transmitter site for the TIS, which started some time this
summer. He is glad to have it on park grounds, altho it was set up by the town
of Cherokee. They wanted it in a central location where drivers on highways 11
and 64 could hear it; not sure of the power but only a few watts. The sound was
rather scratchy, as M & W speakers alternated, altho playing back my tape it
sounded much less scratchy than originally.

I have toyed with the idea of trying a DXpedition from one of the cabins, but
have my doubts that would work well due to power lines in the vicinity, not to
mention the weather radar transmitter, and little room for beverages (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)