Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Last night's TA's in WI

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Last night's TA's in WI

Last night was quite good in Grafton WI for TA's and I have some nice taped of stronger ones like 1134, 1116, 1089, 999 and a few others.

First audio noted was at 6:47 PM CDT(2347 UTC) with 1044 Morocco in. A few minutes later Mauritania was added to my countries heard list when I have AA talk with WBBM phased // 4845. 999 Spain often had a stunning signal helped by phasing WMVP and was in early. About the clearest TA often with word prefect French when they'd talk was 1206. 1134 Croatia had more signal and was often quite clear, but I had to phase local WISN and then other stuff and 1130 was also QRMing.

A few hours later at 0231 UTC, Djibouti 1431 was added to the log when I managed to separate some AA pop mx from Toronto which was talking at the time. 1512 Saudi also was hrd for the first time just prior. 1521's pre s/on carrier was on early and really strong and then were nice and clear after 0300 s/on (actually mx and s/on stuff starts about 0257) 1580 CKDO is a big pain in the neck but Farda audio on 1575 can still be had. Sawa on 1548 had some audio. 1503 carrier peaked about the right time for needed Iran, but I don't think they modulate as well as some others and I couldn't raise any audio. 702 also peaked in that time frame (perhaps Iran as Morocco is not listed on yet) but was way to weak to provide audio. CKDO also messed on 1584 which last season was listenable in cx like this with a mix of SER and Ceuta's mx. Also again failing to provide audio but likely from the Middle East was a 1593 carrier peaking in this time frame but just a tad too weak.

1062 Denmark was in but not as good as the previous night from Barrington, 1179 was only barely splittable from a very strong WHAM, whereas the previous night in Barrington it was quite readable. Domestics are very strong in Grafton coming across the Lake.

Many Spaniards were audible. Things like 1314 and 1305 and 1296 and I could go on and on. No luck with catching hoped for Radio XL on 1296.

Happily, I was able to copy some mx // 1215 Virgin (heavily QRMed by Spain at times) from the weak (2 KW max) syncros on 1197, getting past slop from Detroit and Ottawa (Chicago and WOAI zapped when I phase null back end)

At 0149 I had some AA-Koranic type chanting like Egypt has at this hour but I couldn't get a trace of // 864 under France in heavy CJBC slop. Also no luck on SW // 12050 but BOGs this length aren't the right antennas for good SW reception at 12 MHz. Anyhow..Egypt remains unlogged, noting Morrocco is listed on all night and is possible. (Hrd 10 years ago in Barrington)

Anyhow...the TA's were stronger than the previous night in Barrington but so was the QRM from easterly domestics. My BOGs were aimed about 40 deg and 310 ft // 183 feet. Next time I'll aim a bit further north to try to reduce domestics a bit more and I have a bit more room that way. If I clear some undergrowth I can run about 400 ft at TA's from Grafton.

Anyhow, like the previous night in Barrington, much of the action was midband. I've seen better low band cx than this and also better high band cx.

I came back home to Barrington tonite since T storms hit so I couldn't DX anyhow. I also did not reorient the BOGs to Asia (330 deg) since I was very tired and by 0500 UTC last night distant thunder static was building, especially on low end.

Most interesting was what sounds like bits of Slavic langs under WCKY around 0230 to 0345. I have some of it taped, but unfortunately no IS hrd in between programs (although it often was inaudible for long periods of time) and no SW //'s audible. Anyhow.. I'll be listening to Vaticans audio online tonite in that time frame to see if it is similar and to see when they have IS in between programs.

73 KAZ Barrington IL, Grafton WI