[IRCA] OREGON TRIP DX

My wife and I ventured down to Redmond, Oregon over the Labor Day
weekend. The following were noted from Redmond unless otherwise noted
with *; these were heard in the car:

530  *WQBC586 WA on I-5 near Kalama, as I recall. New (9/4 1800;
location not given as opposed to the other 3 WSDOT outlets below)
530  *WNBA812 WA on I-5 in Scatter Creek. New for me (9/4).
530 *WTDW568 WA on I-5 in Lacey (9/4).
540  *WQBQ728 WA on I-5 in Castle Rock. New for me. (9/4)
570  KCFJ CA Alturas presumed. Slightly on top of KVI all day with
MOYL or similar format. Cut power at 2218 ET 9/2
580  KIDO ID Boise "News radio KIDO" weak but on top all day in Redmond
620  KPOJ OR Portland. On the night of 9/2, SS dominated but I didn't
stay long enough to find out of it was the XE or KIGS which does
venture in to SS at times.
630  KFXD ID Boise fair all day in Redmond; good at night. Country.
670  KBOI ID Boise good all day
690  KRCO OR Prineville local during the day but not really usable at
night. We were actually about 5 miles west of Redmond so they might
have covered that market at nights but certainly not Bend. Country.
720  KFIR OR Sweet Home. Weak all day but I thought the audio quality
was fine and the signal strength appropriate. I didn't listen that
long but don't recall their being country.
730  KBSU ID Boise fair all day with jazz. Spanish also heard but I
can't confirm this was KBSU.
890  KDJQ ID Meridian. Not as strong as KBSU.
940  KICE OR Bend local days, non-existent at night.
1110 KBND OR Bend. Very good day and night.
1160 KSL  UT Salt Lake City. IBOC hash noted the night of 9/2
obliterating 1150 and 1170
1240 K... OR Redmond. Local in SS. I never hung around long enough
for the calls.
1610 *WQCY923 OR Redmond. Local in Redmond but good for about 40 air
miles in the car heading NW. Good quality audio; produced by Oregon
State University.

Much of the upper part of the band was wiped out by TVI or some other
radiation - couldn't tell what it was - but it was nice having only 4
locals.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
ICF2010 + Palomar loop