Re: [IRCA] frequency measurement accuracy

Re: [IRCA] frequency measurement accuracy

Chuck 1,

I find the whole subject fascinating, but I know I'm in the minority.

I observed that years ago, WSM-650 was phase-locked to WWVB. So I designed
and built a 650-kHz generator that derived 650 kHz from my station frequency
standard. That way I had a groundwave reference for precision reference.
That was lost when they went to that fossil, AM Stereo.

If I understand correctly, IBOCs are locked to GPS, so a 700-kHz generator
would be a useful device.

Of course, GPS-locked timebases are available for $75 or so, but I find the
subject of the aging of quartz standards interesting. If one knows the aging
characteristics of one's standard, one can achieve essentially the same
thing as GPS and independently of GPS or WWVB.

Chuck 2

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
   Greenville, North Carolina