Re: [IRCA] QSLs

I just visited parts of your website and enjoyed the QSLs.
//----//

I'm glad you enjoyed them Martin. I agree that actual cards for AM band
QSLs have become increasingly rare as the years progress. The majority
of responses now come in the form of a letter.

I too am surprised that there hasn't been a bigger increase in the use
of e-mail QSLs. I have received a few that were very well produced and
made a welcome addition to my collection. One that comes to mind is the
e-QSL issued by engineer Hue Beavers for the 12/04/05 special DX test of
KKLF / 1700 from their transmitter at Lucas, TX. I believe that the
failure of e-QSLs to become more popular is directly attributable to the
general trend of fewer stations who are willing or able to take the time
to respond to DXers. I suspect that most of the stations today that do
respond with an actual QSL card have an amateur radio operator or former
AM DXer somewhere in the background who recognizes the significance of
the QSL card. The majority of people in the business today do not.

Since I started seeking and collecting QSLs around 1967, I have also
observed a trend toward increasingly fewer DXers who are interested in
the QSL aspect of the hobby. But to some, like myself, that is one of
the best aspects of the hobby. I get a great deal of joy and good
memories from looking through my binders full of QSLs.

I also feel that QSLs are a great way to preserve some of the important
history of broadcasting. I have seen several historic AM radio QSL cards
sell for hundreds of dollars each. Most notably, the QSLs issued by
Radio Swan / Radio Americas for the 1960s anti-Castro CIA broadcasts
from Swan Island routinely sell for $250 and up on e-Bay. This is proof
to me of the historical value that these items hold.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/