Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] TA season

Perhaps the Rocky Mtns attenuates signals. I notoced out west it's even hard to get N Central US most nights. Last season from MN, KFI once & KNBR few times & CKST-1040 once. CKWX-1130 is almost a local over NW US. In deep south, KWKH-LA abt a local. My local on 1130 KFAN is about 10 mi away but beams equivalent of abt 300 KW at me at night & there are stations in Milwaukee, WI & Detroit,MI, & CA. CHRB-1140 is strong too as far as central US (WRVA used to be alone here).

Many DXers either lack the better radio or better antenna to go after TA DX or have noise problems. Many think they don't want to try for signals in foreign languages that are so weak they couldn't understand them if they were in English. Many central & western states have relatively low populations & few serious DXers. Many believe TA DX is impossible or unlikely where they live, so they only try rarely, if at all.

When I DX for TAs, I'm trying to listen to extremely weak stations under extreme splash. Not everyone's idea of fun. Some DXers probably don't even know the proper technique for detecting weak carriers, or what frequencies to try. But these e-mail notices are certainly helpful for learning when DX is happening. George S., MN