Re: [IRCA] Selecting XTALs for synchros

On Saturday 15 July 2006 03:58 pm, Dan Strassberg wrote:
> Charles A Taylor wrote:
>
> You simply must know that 99.9% of AM transmitters have a frequency trimmer
> associated with the crystal.
>
> ------
> Yes, but the existence of a trimmer is not 100% relevant to the discussion.
> Even if you have to trim the frequencies of the two crystals to get the
> frequencies within, say, 0.5 or 0.1 Hz of each other, if they don't drift
> in the same direction at approximately equal rates as a function of time,
> temperature, and any other relevant parameter (oscillator power-supply
> voltage, for example), the frequencies soon enough won't match well.

Yes exactly.

You've got two really good choices for frequency synchronization.

Old way, grab an Efratom atomic rubidium frequency standard, and net the two
standards together for a while. A week is long enough. Then move them to the
transmitter sites. I have a pair of these I use for ham radio applications,
and 9 more of them I have in use out in the field on a trunked FM simulcast
radio system (Motorola SmartNet II.) They have been bulletproof over the
years.

New way, grab a GPS based frequency standard and install it, after netting the
two units together. Much better long term accuracy. Pretty much install it
and forget it.

> I would also say that if the transmitters aren't the same model, you might
> be well advised to retrofit one of them with an oscillator circuit
> identical in every respect to that of the other. Also, unless the
> oscillator circuit's power-supply-rejection ratio is really good, provide
> local regulation for both oscillators.
> --

Yep, differing equipment design is a definite hurdle to overcome, but not
impossible. It would be the weak link I would think.

> If you can't ensure that the thermal
> environment for the oscillators in the different-model transmitters is
> comparable, you probably should also pay the extra cost of
> temperature-controlled oscillators.

Not required with the Efratom or GPS based equipment.

> This is a classic analog-circuit problem that AFAIK has to be solved with
> rather tedious old-fashioned technques. I don't think there are any
> shortcuts. Well, maybe use a clock received from a satellite to drive local
> direct-digital-synthesis-based frequency dividers. I suspect that kind of
> high-tech approach has problems of its own that I have never thought about.
> But if you don't know about the problems, it sounds great;>)

Actually it's pretty reliable if done well. I have 144 transmitters that use a
system like this. While I have had PA issues with these now and then, the
occasional other issue, in 6 years I have never had the synthesizer portion
fail, though I have had one Efratom unit die due to a direct lightning hit a
few years back.

Rick Kunath