Re: [IRCA] FCC

> I was debating on mentioned this. (I may regreat it), but I was told
> today that the FCC is meeting on Friday and they may (A good chance of
> it), OK IBOC for night operation.

I get some email newsletters from broadcast industry groups, and heard a
similar message.  I don't know the timing, but it certainly is on the
agenda.  What the FCC Chairman was waiting for is the last new Commissioner
to be sworn in.  Now there is support for the platform, and things will
proceed.  AM night IBOC is on the list.

In a perverse way, this may provide the do or die moment for IBOC.  AM and
FM come as a bundle, and the failure of one may spell the death knell for
the other.  By reports, FM IBOC has had a measure of success.  The
interference is not apparently as bad on FM as AM.  Some of the FM DX folks
have had some success DXing through it.  Not to say that they are happy
about FM IBOC, though.

Once AM night operation is approved, the interference potential will be
fully realized.  Now couple that with the near total lack of consumer
purchase of the receivers.  The aggregate hiss will so diminish the night
coverage that there will be complaints.  Smaller operators will find even
their Friday Night Football STA insufficient for their market.  It's going
to pinch some wallets, and that's what will prompt some action.

That old Chinese Curse keeps getting a good workout.  "May you live in
interesting times"

Craig Healy
Providence, RI

... I am glad I'm here and not..'somewhere else'.