Re: [IRCA] WRIB-1220 is dark

     I shared the station's plight with my Wife and she said it was sad
about that radio station. She asked if you could find another station
somewhere. I told her I didn't think it would be that easy. She then added,
"Damn Christians."

Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!

>Craig, for some reason I picture a group of men wearing cheap suits
>replacing a colorful operation with an antiseptic one aimed at smug
>self-gratification rather than community service.

Well, for what it's worth, the antiseptic suit image isn't far off.  This
particular church is radical enough that they think music in church is
blasphemy.  They allow acapella singing, and that's it.

I drop my keys off after breakfast.  I think I'm better off.  I only made a
few hundred bucks a month from this client, so it's no big deal to me.

Unfortunately, I doubt they would have a clue as to what a QSL or a DX test
is.  With luck, they will keep it for a while, sell it, and move on to
something else.

What I am seeing is that religious groups seem to have a greater percentage
of stations than years ago, even with the ones like WAWZ-1380 and their ilk
in the past.  What is troubling is that they rely less on advertising and
broad popular support, and more on donations from a narrow demographic. It
may be that using a station as a bully pulpit to reach a sliver of society
may one day run afoul of the "Public Service" requirement.

I can hope they find it less useful, and simply sell it off in a few years.

>If I'm right, there is little hope for consternation or embarrassment
there.

>From what I saw and heard yesterday, they certainly are suseptible to bad
PR.  Their "flock" nurtures off a feel-good energy from the church.  Disturb
that with a demonstration that shows their church did wrong, and it can be
quite damaging.  There are a lot of people who truly do not understand the
need for presenting an organization in a good and positive light.  We have
all seen that.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI