Re: [IRCA] Nova Scotia/PEI Bandscan

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Atlantic Canada, John!

Yes, indeed.  CJVA is our local "pest" when we go to Miscou each September.
They put in a dandy daytime signal through the northern Martimes, but WGY is
usually in here at night in central New Brunswick.

> 870	UNID NF station.  Part of the "VOCM/CFCB network",
> country.  //1230.  CFSX Stephenville?  Stephenville
> ads, but no CFSX ID (from PEI)

Yep, it was CFSX.  The // network makes them tough to ID sometimes.

> 1230	UNID NF, see notes under 870.  Presume CFGN Port
> au Basque (heard on PEI).  VOCM network?

Yep.  At only 250 watts it's a nice catch because of the great path over the
Gulf of St. Lawrence.  I have frequently heard a "CFCB" ID on this one, but
it's CFGN.

> Other notes:
> 990	CBAO St Stephen NB, a low-powered CBC-New
> Brunswick relay.  Can only be heard in the St.
> Stephen/Calais, Maine area.  40 watts?

I believe so.  There are only a very few AM LPRTs left in New Brunswick.
Practically everything from CBC has moved to FM.

> 93.9 Confederation Bridge Infomation Radio, with
> traffic reports for the bridge to PEI.  Similar format
> to the other FM stations above.  There seems to be a
> network of these stations across sections of the
> Maritimes, but can't find any info on the internet on
> them.

Yes, they are all owned out of Halifax  (3077457 Nova Scotia Limited) and
operate in several cities and border crossings.  Typical power is 50 watts.

> I believe the two PEI AM stations in Charlottetown are
> supposed to be moving to FM but both were still on
> normal AM operations when I was up there.  The 630
> outlet tends to put out a somewhat better signal into
> Nova Scotia, especially during the day than the 720
> outlet.

Yes, according to Phil Rafuse on PEI the FM has started up and the AM has no
more than three months to go.  I tried contacting both stations to arrange
DX tests before they go dark, but neither replied.

Brent Taylor, VE1JH
Doaktown, NB