From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Bob Foxworth
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:34 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] An interesting post from the radio-tech list

> AM DXing still brings me enjoyment. However, as a station chief many
> years ago in Mississippi, it was more problematic. A few high and
> mighty DX "experts" declared a jihad against our station first
> complaining in print in a DX magazine that our station did not reduce
> power at sunset on a handful of dates. Then they began sending letters
> and making phone calls the the Commission.  The GM and I compared
> their complaints for time and date to our xmtr logs and found we were
> in compliance, yet these 2 DXers continued to harrass our GM and even
> our owner. It was our secretary (a Florida State
> grad) that noted these "DX experts" were in a part of Florida that was
> just inisde the Eastern time zone, while the Magnolia state is in  the
> Central time zone. And their figures were exactly one hour off...... A
> quick letter to these "experts" and to the magazine publisher from our
> station's attorney quelled the phone calls and triggered an in print
> apology from the magazine. Never heard a word from the Commission. I
> guess that shows how much clout they have..............
>

> Chuck

Well this brings up a host of questions. One, for example ... I can't recall
any DX magazine running an in-print apology. (I am NOT addressing the merits
of the claim of either side). Anyone have any knowledge of this case? Was
this magazine one of the MW-only clubs, or was it a glossy-cover monthly
aimed at all-band coverage?

- Bob                        sent at 1134 edt