[IRCA] MW loggings from the Queen Charlottes

[IRCA] MW loggings from the Queen Charlottes

All sorts of fascinating loggings from the islands off the north BC
coast.  Note that KAGV 1110 is back on the air.  Some fascinating TP dx
available even this time of the year, and so far north too.  Sun set was
around 2200 local, and sunrise by around 5:30 or so.  Enjoy!
By the way, receiver was an AOR 7030+, and 2 Beverages:  N/S  classic
style, and an E/W BOG............Walt

UNKNOWN 999, 1206-, unknown May 18 English religious broadcasting.  HLCL,
Korea is listed as a Christian broadcaster, but do they do so in English as
well?. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

JAPAN 1089, 1222-, JOHB, Sendai May 18 Fair reception of English lesson
with splash from domestics on 1090. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

JAPAN 1152, 1228-, JOPC, Kushiro May 18 NHK2 English language lesson with
discussion about whether Pluto should be considered a planet.  Although
several NHK2 stations are listed, the Hokkaido station is the most likely.
(Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 1566, 1309-, 3NE Wangaratta May 18 Battling it out with HLAZ,
Korea.  English variety programming with many mentions of
Australia.  Sometimes dominating HLAZ. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 774, 1245-, 3LO Melbourne May 20 A fascinating morning!  The best
of the 3 so far and I'm pleased with my west aiming BOG.  Definitely an
Australian morning compared with a northerly emphasis the previous 2
mornings.  Presumably 3LO battling it out with JOUB, with the Aussie
usually overtop with a very nice signal!  The Aussie noted in // to 747 so
likely 7PB Hobart. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

UNIDENTIFIED 792, 1255-, unid, later 4RN Australia May 20 Tantalizing!  I'm
listening to Indian sounding instrumental music at fair to almost good
levels.  Sure doesn't sound like Australia, but I'll know soon enough if
the signal holds. Of course by the TOH, the signal had faded and then came
back just after 13:00 at which time the signal was from 4RN.  The same or
different stations?  I would have loved to report Nepal or Pakistan, but
alas, most likely just 4RN!. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 1611, 1230-, Radio Two May 20 I knew things were hopping when I
briefly monitored this Australian graveyard frequency at 12:30 and heard
music, and at least 3 different programs.  At 13:01 I caught a 'Radio Two'
ID at decent levels.  Excited, I checked the PAL only to find about 20
Radio Two stations all sharing the same frequency!!!  Still, I'm very
pleased. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 747, 1235-, 7PB Hobart May 20 At 12:35 I could hear an English
program cochannel with the louder JOIB.  Wasn't sure who they were until I
came across a // frequency of 774 with 3L0 dominating JOUB.  I'm therefore
presuming this one to be 7PB in Tasmania.  Hopefully that's the correct
assumption as the other Aussie stations don't appear to match. (Salmaniw,
Masset, B.C.)

AUSTRALIA 738, 1235-, 2NR May 20 ABC ID and phone number following some
English music.  Sometimes good reception.  Didn't hear the usual RFO Tahiti
this morning. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 1230, 2326-, KIFW, Sitka May 20 Fair reception at 4:30 PM best on
North Beverage which makes sense.  Interesting that they're in // to KCKN
Ketchikan on 930, the closest Alaskan which is heard like a local, with
local IDs in between the oldies.  Saturday night's alright for fightin' by
Elton John. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 890, 1333-, KBBI, Homer May 21 Excellent reception with BBCWS
relay.  ID at 13:59. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 1110, 1348-, KAGV, Big Lake-Houston May 21 I suspect that KAGV is
back on the air.  Heard at fair level with inspirational hymns.  Hopefully
it will still be audible in 10 minutes for an ID.  Yes!  ID as KAGV,
Alaska's Gospel Voice at 13:56.  Full ID at 14:00. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

JAPAN 1575, 1211-, American Forces Network May 22 A very tentative
logging.  This station plays almost continous US rock music.  Quite
weak.  This is not what I'd expect from VOA Thailand.  Yes, definitely US
military in Japan with English heard briefly at 12:30:30 for about 30
seconds clearly, then down in the mud again. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

PHILIPPINES 1512, 1221-, DYAB May 22 Not sure which of the 2 Filipino
stations this is, but reception is quite nice!  About a 7 to 8/10 with call
in show and fast paced Filipino talk with a smattering of English words.  I
did pick up Da Vinci code.  Lots of 'oh-oh'.  Doesn't sound Christian, so
I'm leaning towards DYAB as most likely, versus DYAT.  I should have a good
audio clip. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

PHILIPPINES 1458, 1240-, DYZZ Radio Bantay. May 22 Another Filipino
station!  Deep fades, but when up it's at fair plus levels.  Again, I'm not
sure which it is.  Probably not FEBC, so it's either DZJV, but most likely
DYZZ Radio Bantay as it fits PAL best.  I'm very pleased!  Definitely a
Filipino opening!. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 670, 1329-, KDLG May 22 BBCWS programming, and then a generic NPR
ID.  Local IDs usually occur just before the top of the hour.  Fair
reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 800, 1334-, KINY, Juneau May 22 Oldies music followed by semi-ID as
Hometown Radio, and mentions of the capital.  Good reception. (Salmaniw,
Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 930, 1338-, KTKN, Ketchikan May 22 Local programming with KTKN.com
website and PSA.  This is the strongest AM station heard in Masset, heard
very well all day. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 1229.99, 1350-, KIFW, Sitka May 22 Very strong reception with ad for
'Coastal Contacts', then dead air (which occurs frequently on this
station...I'm assuming this is a spot for local announcements between
network feeds).  Finally, after about 3 minutes of dead air,'The latest in
Alaskan news at KIFW.com'. Full ID at 13:59:40 for KIFW.  Reporting first
drop in gasoline prices by a penny. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)

ALASKA 620, 1406-, KGTL, Homer May 22 Simple ID as 'KGTL 620' following USA
network news.  Fair to good reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.)