Re: [IRCA] AM down the road..

Multicasting (one stream for many listeners) is supported by most routers
these days. However, it won't solve the problem. If 1000 users want 1000
different streams, there's nothing to be gained by multicasting.

This is what makes a problem for wireless "last mile" technologies.
Regardless of whether it is cell phone, WiFi or WiMax based, there's a
finite bandwidth to be shared between many users. Individual streams then
chew up that bandwidth.

WiFi won't be the answer as the limited range (only a few hundred feet or
less when obstructions are present) means you'd have a real nightmare to
cover an entire city and a financial problem to connect all of them to the
Internet.

WiMax has the coverage (more or less 20 mile diameter cells) but there can
be millions of people and lots of businesses inside that cell. There are
sure to be bandwidth issues.

Fiber To The Home (still not close to reality for the masses) will solve the
problem sometime, somewhere over the rainbow.

Chuck